Dr. Birgit Friedl
Birgit Friedl, a German-qualified lawyer, is Of Counsel in the Munich office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP.
Ms. Friedl advises companies in domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments and joint venture transactions. She also has extensive experience in all forms of corporate law with respect to privately held corporations in particular.
Further, she concentrates on complex corporate and financial restructurings in distress situations and on financing transactions..
Ms. Friedl regularly represents German and international companies as well as financial investors in various industry sectors such as the automotive, chemical, pharmaceutical and paper industries, as well as telecommunication and other service providers.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Ms. Friedl practiced as a junior partner at a renowned German law firm. From 1993 to 1996 she was a lecturer at King's College, London.
Ms. Friedl speaks German and English and has a working knowledge of Spanish and French.
Representative Transactions include
- Giesecke & Devrient: Formation of a Joint Venture with Wincor, a manufacturer of solutions for cash handling processes in the banking and retail industry.
- A Russian Investor: Advice in connection with a global asset structure, various acquisitions and joint venture projects as well as corporate and financial restructurings.
- The Gores Group:
- advice in the structuring, negotiation and set up of its joint venture with Siemens AG related to the acquisition of Siemens Enterprise Communications;
- in the auction process for the enterprise business of a competitor out of bankruptcy.
- Worldwide provider of IT-solutions and services in the banking and retail industry: Advice on the restructuring of a joint venture with banking partners.
- A distributor of electrical supplies: Advice in various working capital refinancings and in a receivables securitization.
- Financing, refinancing and restructuring of various groups of companies held by financial investors as well as cash-management structures.
- International paper manufacturer: Advice in the context of US US Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Advice to several corporations, portfolio companies of financial investors and real estate investors regarding restructuring strategies and measures as well as with regard to the preparation of formal insolvency proceedings.
2012 Year-End German Law Update
The German Draft Law on Restructuring Insolvent Companies - A German Version of Chapter 11?
Universities of Munich, Passau and University College Cardiff; Law Degree 1990
Universities of Munich and Essex; Dr. jur. 1993
Admitted as a German lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) since 1995
Membership of Professional Bodies
Member of TMA Germany (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Restrukturierung e.V.)
Member of Deutsch-Britische Juristenvereinigung e.V. (British-German Jurists Association)